6150AD5/Ex and Probe 6150AD-18/Ex
Measuring quantity is the Ambient Dose Equivalent H*(10). A built-in GM counting tube serves to measure dose rates up to 1 Sv/h. At dose rates lower than 0.2 mSv/h dose rate indication fluctuates by more than 5% around its average value making accurate readings more difficult. Therefore, the Probe 6150AD-18/Ex is available as an optional accessory for low dose rates. The probe connects to the meter through the Probe Cable 878.1.1 (length 1.25 m, custom specific lengths of up to 10 m are possible). The probe 6150AD-18/Ex has a larger counting tube which covers dose rates up to 10 mSv/h »only«, but which is better suited for low levels because of its higher sensitivity.
The 6150AD5/Ex and the Probe 6150AD-18/Ex are approved by PTB (Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt) for use in Ex-areas (Zone 1). We did not aim at an approval for gauging because of the relatively low demand for Ex-safe instruments.
Functions of the 6150AD5/Ex correspond to those of the standard model 6150AD5/H. The housing has a blue powder-coating distinguishing it clearly from the standard 6150AD. Furthermore, the following differences result from rules for explosion protection:
- The serial interface is disabled.
- The electrical drive for the buzzer is different. The buzzer’s frequency is adjustable.
- Display illumination uses LEDs as a light sources (instead of an electroluminiscence lamp which requires higher operating voltages).
- Temperature range is restricted to -20 °C to +40 °C.
- The electronics are different and consume more power. This reduces battery life.
- You need the special Key 878.1.2 to open the battery compartment. That key (located right to the 6150AD5/Ex in the above image) is included in the delivery.
- The probe socket requires a different connector, thereby avoiding that standard probes of the 6150AD family can be connected.
As mentioned in the last item, Ex-rules require to prevent the connection of standard 6150AD probes because these are not Ex-safe. The only thing you can connect to the 6150AD5/Ex is the Probe 6150AD-18/Ex through the special Probe Cable 878.1.1.