The instrument is designed to be used with external scintillation detectors for optimum performance in locating and measuring low-level (near ˝background˝) gamma radiation.
The Model 193 offers two types of alarms for both avid and inexperienced users:
- A user adjustable meter-driven alarm for alarm indication above a particular set-point
- A deviation beep alarm which gives indication to the rise of radiation above background levels
The unit features range multipliers of ×1, ×10, ×100, and ×1000, which provide an overall range of 0-5000 microroentgens per hour (µR/hr) when used in conjunction with a 0-5µR/hr meter dial (others are available). Other features include a two-position meter response time switch, adjustable detector operating voltage (HV), and an audio ON/OFF switch.
The instrument is capable of using either standard ˝D˝ cell batteries or nickel-cadmium rechargeable batteries. The two ˝D˝ cell batteries are located in an isolated compartment, easily accessible from the front panel.
- Used with External Scintillator Detectors
- Special Algorithms for Finding Loose Sources
METER SCALE: 0 to 5 µR/hr provides an overall range of 0 to 5000 µR/hr (other meter scales available)
METER: 1 mA, 6.4 cm (2.5 in.) scale, pivot-and-jewel suspension
LINEARITY: reading within 10% of true value
HIGH VOLTAGE: externally adjustable and variable from 200 to 1500 Vdc
- Range selector switch ×1000, ×100, ×10, and ×1
- Audio ON-OFF toggle switch
- FAST-SLOW toggle switch
- Reset pushbutton to zero meter
- Calibration controls hidden behind cover plate for setting alarms, discriminator, HV, and range adjustments
ALARM: the alarm is adjustable from 10% of full meter scale to greater than full meter scale. An alarm is manifested by an alarm lamp on the front panel and an audio signal.
DETECTOR FAILURE: indicated by a rapid audible beep and meter reading of zero, instrument waits for 8 seconds after initial power-up sequence before giving indication to a detector failure (no count) condition
POWER: two standard alkaline ˝D˝ cell batteries, secured in an isolated compartment
BATTERY LIFE: 600 hours
CONSTRUCTION: cast and drawn aluminum with beige powder coat and silk-screened nomenclature
SIZE: 16.5 x 8.9 x 21.6 cm (6.5 x 3.5 x 8.5 in.) (H × W x L), including instrument handle
WEIGHT: 1.6 kg (3.5 lbs.), including batteries